Kids’ Day at The Cottage
Sunday June 13th 2021
10am – 1pm
More details about this year’s event coming soon. Members can pre-register now – numbers this year are limited.
See below to find out what you could expect from previous Kids’ Day at The Cottage.
The first Kids’ Day at the Cottage was held in 2010 and has since become a very popular annual event. All activities are FREE for children thanks to volunteer expert presenters and workers, plus support from the Lord Mayor’s Suburban Initiative Fund for the Pullenvale Ward.
Presenters offer activities for young people that engage, entertain and inform on some aspect of our local environment and its biodiversity. The adults with them also find out more about the Cottage, the MCCG and its activities.
The day has typically had as its centrepiece a wildlife show, which introduces the kids (and accompanying adults) to a range of native fauna, with opportunities to see the animals, birds and reptiles close up, and to handle the tamer ones.
Other popular activities have included:
- Seeing a range of native snails live at close hand …
- Searching out well disguised stick insects and giant cockroaches, and seeing and handling other invertebrates
- Plant identification using local plants …
- Finding out more about local plants and learning how to pot and grow them – and getting free plants into the bargain
- Learning about and observing native bees ..
- Discovering more about the local birds and how and where to spot them (and what they sound like) …
- Pottery and leather work …
- Making finger puppets …